The first person to declare serious intention to run as a Republican candidate for Congress in Sonoma/Marin is Dan Roberts. The Marin Independent Journal listed him as a potential candidate in a recent article that also mentioned the many Democrat declared and considering contenders (Jarod Huffman, Norman Solomon, Tiffany Renee, Susan Adams, and others). Today, he posted on WSC, indicating his plan to move forward, although as yet I see no report of his having filed official papers (and I trust that in the future he will post with proper capitalization rather than all lower-case letters). However, he does have a campaign website which I urge all to peruse. Mr. Roberts has run previously as an American Independent. His published platform is as follows:
- Pursue fiscal soundness i.e. demand a Balanced Federal Budget.
- Less government: Ronald Reagan “government is the problem not the solution.”
- Allow the private sector to succeed.
- Benign foreign policy: no wars of adventure. Stop nation building.
- Fairness in tax policy: “all pay some, not some pay all.”
- Strong support of Israel. No nuclear proliferation in the Middle East.
- Follow dictates of U.S. Constitution and Bill of Rights.
These are solid American values, and we sorely need them to be fully represented in Congress. I am encouraged to hear of Mr. Roberts’ intention to run.